Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Falcon Drown?

Post race analysis:
Pontoons good, wings better. All those pointy rocks got the better of me again!

Last year I made it through one lap (half run). This year I flatted earlier than last year, but was determined to finish. So here's how it went:
  • Good start. I went into the rocks first. Passed 1 expert class rider.
  • Rear tire flat after 3 km. Hunkered down for quick repair and pump up. Watched as my lead evaporated.
  • Back on the trail. Not as much air as I would have liked in the tire.
  • Flat after 5 minutes. No more tubes, so started running. By now, I'm at the back of the entire race group. I run with some nice young racers who are in good spirits.
  • Tech zone - try to locate hole in tube. Found 6. Used entire contents of two patch kits. Also about 8 rounds of electrical tape to try to seal the last poorly patched hole. Appreciated the respectful encouragement of the Vandenhams and other tech zone watchers. Pumped up - more air this time. Strap floor pump to my hydration pack.
  • All alone now, I blow through first half of course. Then on the fire road, I hear a huge woosh and the tire is flat again. A huge new hole near the previous one. No more patches, so I started running again.
  • While running, I was inspired to repair the tube by tying a knot in the tube at the location of the tear, reinstall, and pump. It worked - for five minutes at a time. Only 8 more pump-ups till the finish.
  • I finished the race feeling like a biathlete who swapped his skis for a bike and rifle for a red floor pump. Or a bumbling pit crewman for a cash-strapped Nascar team.

My daughter J did a bit better - her main problems were shoelaces undone, flat front tire, and brake pads completely eaten away by all the grit from the swamps. She could barely slow the bike down, but came back in one piece, smiling.


T and his bike came out unscathed, and he got a prize for 2nd U9 boy. Good for you!


Moral of the story?
Stopping for numerous repairs is frustrating.
Stopping for numerous repairs gives you a good story and you meet lots of people.
More air for sharp rocks.


Question of the day: How much air pressure is needed for this course? I started with 28 front/30 rear.

7 comments:

  1. I found that any reasonable psi leads to flats. Rode 45 and 40! No flats this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does 45 psi grip the rocks? Must be a little extra slick that way. What about ss gearing? What do you use on a slow rocky course? Low gearing or more running?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a "grating" good time what with all your flats and such. Hope you enjoyed the weekend though. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. So last year your demise was because of Stans and this year it sounds like you should have used Stans?...baffling...Maybe tire selection?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used Stan's both years, and a tube as backup. The demise was likely due to low tire pressure. Great traction, even with the Crow tires, but very prone to damage from pointy rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh...I see. Yeah, tire pressure is always a tricky game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeff, if you're still listening - how are things in Alberta? Work? Riding? etc?
    You can email if you want to lincoln.wiebe@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete