Sunday, February 10, 2013

Wheels Work. Well mostly.

As you could see from the previous post, I spent some time rebuilding my front wheel with a lighter rim, and mounted it up tubeless last weekend.  Busy this week with J birthday party and associated work, so first ride was today.  Traction - great.  Air holding - not great.  Well, I pumped it up again and we'll see if it holds better next time.
Kinda feels weird dressing for 20 minutes, riding for 30, then undressing for 20.  Feels like a DNF in a big race.



I haven't explained the story of the new RMB Vertex yet.  Here's the nutshell version:
- last summer JP showed me his 29er 1x9 setup.  I liked it and started thinking about a future race bike, probably rigid.
- started reading pinkbike and ebay for such bikes.  Not much luck.
- started finding sources for cheap carbon frames.  Thought maybe I'd do a build, using used/cheap parts.
- finally got a parts list together.
- priced out the list
- got up off the floor.
- I wondered what I could get for that price as a complete bike.
- nearly the first bike I saw on ebay in my $ bracket was a 2012 Vertex from a shop in Quebec.  Auction closing in 4 hours and just a shade over half retail price.  New!  No bids!
- I had 4 hours to pray, talk to R, try to get my head around spending $ this year instead of next.  Also to determine my max bid.
- Well for a fantastic new bike to come along at this price is unusual.  And in my size, and at this time.  So we agreed that I'd bid.  I phoned a frequent ebay customer friend for bidding advice.
- I threw in a bid at 1 minute remaining and prepped the max bid in case I needed it.  I watched the clock tick down.  No other bids.  I was stunned.
- So I have a new bike instead of a cobbled together one.  It's got a suspension fork instead of rigid.  And a 2 pound frame.  Yes that's two pounds.
- Thanks God.  I didn't deserve it but I'm thankful.
- I bought two Crest rims to swap in.
- I weighed a few parts from my previous race bike and they were lighter so I kept my seat, post, stem, bar.

I am having issues with the fork not holding pressure.  May need to send it in, but I want to ride!


No comments:

Post a Comment