Sunday, July 18, 2010

Tinker rider down(?)

Tristan had a pretty serious crash yesterday.
I didn't know if we'd be facing a series of facial surgeries or worse. Here's what happened.
I and the whole family undertook to circumnavigate Lake Minnewasta on our bikes (with the trailer). This was the first part of the Back 40 race loop.
Having made it around, we continued past the spillway into Morden and coasted down Conner Hill Rd (biggest hill within 30 miles(?). We kept to a reasonable speed since there was some light traffic. After a left turn, we tucked for a final bit of gravity racing. I heard a yell and turned around.




You have to understand, this is therapy for me. Tristan turned out to be ok, but when I saw this and heard the smack, it was tearing my heart in two. Replaying the scene has been agonizing but is getting better.

I had to ride my bike two blocks to get the van. We sped to the hospital and they took him in instantly. Dr. Gord Zacharias was on (he rides and works on trails at Tinker Creek too!) and looked Tristan over real good. Examination and X-rays showed nothing seriously wrong.

Here he is that evening at home.

And the following day (Sunday).

As you may or may not have gathered from the header of this blog, Jesus Christ is the real trailhero. After all, he made the hills, trees, and gravity. But today he's a hero for me because without me deserving it, he saved my son's skull, bones, brain, and maybe his life.

Coasting with your head down at somewhere around 20 km/h and hitting a parked car with a spoiler on its trunk should result in some considerable injury. The way his face instantly purpled and swelled, I was sure there would be crushed facial bones. I didn't even consider at that moment the possibility of brain damage and spinal injury. I am not overplaying this, this is a miracle. I didn't make a special prayer for protection. I wasn't extra holy or even trying to be nice. God just gave us an unsolicited gift. Tristan is barely having pain today. Hallelujah!


Here are some pictures from the carefree part of the day.

Ramona and the kids.




If you want to make a comment for Tristan, post it and I'll pass it on.

If you pray, do it for Tristan to heal up quick and not have traumatic fears.

Oh, and Tristan was back on his bike today at home! Rider down, nothing. Can't keep a good man down!

3 comments:

  1. My parents must have prayed a lot when I was a kid :) Don't forget to forgive yourself. Your a good man. God Bless your whole family.

    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Grandpa Ron
    When I saw the pictures of you Tristan yesterday it triggered something in my brain, a memory, which wouldn't reveal itself till Sunday afternoon. It was a mental picture of my own face looking in a mirror and seeing what Tristan's face looked like. The memories came back. It happened to me when I was about 14 years old, on Bruce's 3 speed bike which I crashed on an ice rutted road on an early spring day a long time ago. The next time I see you and Tristan I will relate the whole story. Tristan, I feel sorry for you, but you will heal and you will continue to enjoy racing.
    Grandpa Wiebe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope he's doing well! He and Katherine (my daughter) should hang out more. they could share their face-smashing stories!

    ReplyDelete